- Energy Audits
- Blower Door & Duct Leakage Tests
- Drone Services
- Manual JDS/RESCheck/COMCheck
Our pricing is very cost-effective. We offer:
- $200.00 for the first test
- $175.00 additional tests
Included in the price of your blower door test, we offer to do a framing inspection for you to locate areas of possible air infiltration. This increases the likelihood that you will pass the blower door test the first time.
WHAT IS A BLOWER DOOR TEST PROCEDURE?
A blower door is a powerful fan that mounts into the frame of an exterior door and is used to test how airtight a building is. Some of the reasons you want to know how airtight your building includes:
- Reduce your energy consumption due to air leakage. A tight home is an efficient home.
- Avoid moisture condensation problems.
- Cut down on uncomfortable drafts caused by cold air leaking in from the outdoors.
- Determine how much mechanical ventilation might be needed to provide acceptable indoor air quality.
- HOW DOES THE TEST WORK?
Blower doors consist of a frame and flexible panel that fit in a doorway, a variable-speed fan, a pressure gauge to measure the pressure differences inside and outside the home, and an airflow manometer and hoses for measuring airflow. The fan depressurizes the building, creating a vacuum. The higher outside air pressure then flows in through all unsealed cracks and openings. We use infrared imaging to determine the location of the leaks. With the data we collect, you can figure out where the air is getting in. Then you are able to properly air seal the building to provide you with better energy efficiency. After you complete air sealing, we can re-test to determine the effectiveness of the air sealing measures. Remember it is best to let one of the blower door test companies, such as us, handle these tests. You know that you will get accurate reports with us. Schedule an appointment with our professional contractors today.
WHEN IS A BLOWER DOOR TEST REQUIRED?
Since the adoption of the 2015 IECC Residential Energy Codes, blower door air leakage testing is now a requirement for most construction projects in the Denver Metro area. This includes new construction and renovations where the addition is 30% or larger than the original home. The benefits of using our company for your testing services:
- Test new builds or remodels.
- Receive a compliance letter the same day.
- Have access to multiple professionals with testing equipment.
- Get scheduled within 2 business days.
- ACH REQUIREMENTS:
These are the ACH requirements that you need to be aware of:
- Single-family homes - 3 air changes per hour or less, or 3 ACH.
- Townhomes with attached common walls - 4 ACH in Denver County.
- ADU’s - 4 ACH in Denver County, different for all municipalities.
- Additions: Required for additions that are more than 30% of the original square footage or the home, not including the basement. A Pre-test is performed to determine the air leakage of the original home. This ACH number is the benchmark for the final test post-construction. The final test must be less than or equal to the pre-test. Performing a pre and post-test is much easier to pass since there is no specific ACH required to pass. If a pre-test is not conducted, then 5 ACH or less is required. We highly recommend that you perform a pre and post-test to increase your chances of passing this test.
Attached Multi-Unit Testing: To aid in passing your air leakage testing on attached homes, we use multiple blower door fans to isolate the shared interior walls. This is called guarded testing. By running multiple blower doors at the same time, we are able to determine the leakage to the outside of individual units negating leakage between units through shared interior walls.
WHAT WE DO IF YOU DO NOT PASS
If you are unable to pass your blower door test, we use infrared imaging and zone pressure diagnostics to determine where you are having air infiltration issues in order that you can address them. We will continue to work with you until you are able to pass your blower door test. Additional testing is $175 each, 1.5 hours of diagnostics is included; additional diagnostics time is charged at $25 per 15 minutes.
CONTACT US TODAY FOR ASSISTANCE
Don’t search for a blower door test near me anymore. If you need a test performed, call the team here at E3 Power. We will send someone out to do the testing for you. Get in touch with us so we can help you.